Aledo Independent School District
ELAR 7 DISTANCE LEARNING
Aledo Middle School
5/4/20 *All assigned work due by Sunday, 5/10 at 11:59 PM
Estimated Time to Complete: 2 hours
- Watch the walk-through video for this week
- This week’s checklist to help organize your work
- All additional resources can be found on your teacher’s Google Classroom under “Classwork”
- Apostrophes Escape Room Google Form (lesson contained within the Form)
Lesson Delivery (What do we want you to learn?):
- Review and study the use of apostrophes to strengthen our mastery of conventions within the English Language so that we can communicate more clearly and effectively.
- Engage in the Apostrophes escape room in order to evaluate and correctly use this grammar convention to demonstrate mastery of the skill as well as to problem solve and pattern-find within the escape room.
Engage and Practice (What do we want you to do?):
Open the Apostrophes Escape Room google form.
- Apostrophe Notes and Practice
- Through the Apostrophes Escape Room (found on Google Classroom), you will familiarize yourself with the opening pages.
- Review the purpose and use of apostrophes within a sentence (linked in the form)
- Apostrophes Notes
- Apostrophes Video
- Additional Notes
- Practice evaluating the correct use of apostrophes through Quizizz (linked in the form)
Engage in the Apostrophes Escape Room
- Apostrophes Escape Room - Google Form (GRADE)
- After you have reviewed and practiced using apostrophes, you will be ready to engage in the escape room quizzes
- There are 4 quizzes, each with 5 questions
- At the end of each quiz, you will compile your answers in order and convert them into numbers in order to get the Lockbox code to move on to the next quiz (see example below)
- Let’s say your answers (in order from 1-5) were A, A, C, B, C
- A= 1, B= 2, and C=3
- Your Lockbox code would be: 11323
- On-Level: Complete the Apostrophes Escape Room.
- Completing the escape room successfully is 100 points of your grade
(25 points per lockbox)
- Pre-AP: After completing the escape room, think of a TV show or movie that you watched recently. Analyze the producers’ use of characterization, symbolism, camera angles, or other details in a half a page (12 pt Times New Roman) response. Use a minimum of four apostrophes correctly.
- Completing the escape room successfully is 50 points of your grade
- Each correctly used apostrophe is 10 points of your grade (40 points total)
- A cohesive half page analysis is 10 points of your grade
Create and Submit (What do we want you to turn in?):
Apostrophes Escape Room (GRADE)
Take a screenshot of the confirmation message, then attach and turn it into the Google Classroom assignment to receive a 100. We will double check who has completed it with the spreadsheet.
- Don’t know how to take a screenshot? Visit this website and select your device option (iPad, iPhone, Android, Windows, Mac, Chromebook, etc.), then follow the instructions.
- For help on how to attach and submit your assignment, watch this how-to video.
- Do you want or need online texts read aloud to you? If you would like to add this FREE extension to your browser, we highly recommend doing so!
PRE-AP: Half-Page Analysis with Apostrophes (Part 2 of GRADE for Pre-AP only)
- PRE-AP attach your half page analysis with your screenshot!
Extension Opportunity (What do we want you to do if you want to extend your learning?):
- Continue working on Lexia minutes
- Make your own grammar escape room!
- Watch this video to learn how to make a digital escape room.
- Using either what you learned with apostrophes this week or another grammar skill from your notes, create an escape room for others to try!