Aledo Independent School District
ELAR 7 DISTANCE LEARNING
Aledo Middle School
5/18/20 *All assigned work due by Sunday, 5/24 at 11:59 PM
Estimated Time to Complete: 2 hours
- Watch the walk-through video for this week
- This week’s checklist to help organize your work
- All additional resources can be found on your teacher’s Google Classroom under “Classwork”
- Google Form Quiz attached to the Week of May 18 assignment
- On-Level: “Thank You Ma’am” - On-Level Quiz
- Pre-AP: Paired Texts - Pre-AP Quiz
Lesson Delivery (What do we want you to learn?):
- Read and listen to Langston Hughes’s short story, “Thank You Ma’am” to explore and analyze the effect our reactions have on others and to discover the impact of small acts of kindness.
- Pre-AP will pair the short story with “If I Can Stop One Heart from Breaking” by Emily Dickinson.
- Engage in a Reading Response Quiz to hone your evaluative and analytical skills in determining the relationship between choices and the effect they have on others. You will also engage in questions about proper noun use and figurative language.
Engage and Practice (What do we want you to do?):
On-Level: Open the “Thank You Ma’am” Google Form.
Pre-AP: Open the “Paired Texts” Google Form
- Review Notes on Literary Elements and Proper Nouns
- Through the Google Form, you will find notes linked that will help reteach and review content that will be quizzed in the first section of the quiz.
- Carefully review these and contact your teacher if you have any questions.
- Read “Thank You Ma’am” by Langston Hughes*
- Through the Google Form, you will find a pdf of this story, open it and read it.
- There is also a link to an audiobook that reads along with you. It matches exactly and is highly recommended to help you get the tone.
- This doesn’t mean don’t read it, but let it play as you follow along and make notes.
- *Pre-AP, you will also read “If I Can Stop One Heart from Breaking” by Emily Dickinson
Engage in the “Thank You Ma’am” Reading Quiz
- “Thank You Ma’am” Reading Quiz (GRADE)
- After you have reviewed the notes and read the story, you will be ready to engage in the quiz
- There are two sections: one is over proper nouns and figurative language used in the story, and one is over the story itself.
- At the end of the quiz make sure that you click “SUBMIT” or your response will not be recorded and you will have to do the quiz again.
- Note: If you exit the quiz at any time, it will NOT save your progress.
- After you submit the quiz, please go to the assignment in Google Classroom and click “TURN IN” to notify your teacher that you have finished the assignment.
- On-Level: Your quiz is over “Thank You Ma’am” by Langston Hughes.
- Pre-AP: Your quiz is similar to On-Level’s but pairs the story with a poem by Emily Dickinson.
Create and Submit (What do we want you to turn in?):
“Thank You Ma’am” (OL) or “Paired Text” (PAP) Quiz (GRADE)
We will double check who has completed it with the spreadsheet, so make sure to click “SUBMIT”! After you submit the quiz, please go to the assignment in Google Classroom and click “TURN IN” to notify your teacher that you have finished the assignment.
- For help on how to turn in an assignment without an attachment, watch this how-to video.
- Do you want or need online texts read aloud to you? If you would like to add this FREE extension to your browser, we highly recommend doing so!
Extension Opportunity (What do we want you to do if you want to extend your learning?):
- Continue working on Lexia minutes
- Reflect on the theme of the story and the choices you make day to day. Write a response to either:
- How a choice you have made positively impacted someone else. What was it? Who did it impact? How so?
- Decide to make a choice soon that will positively impact someone else. What will it be? Who will it impact? How so? Now go do it!