What is the TSIA?
The TSI Assessment (TSIA) is an exam designed to help determine if students are ready for college-level course work in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics. Students entering college for the first time in Texas are required to take the TSI Assessment to determine his/her readiness for college-level work. Students who meet the exemption requirements listed below are not required to take the TSI Assessment. Based on performance, students may enroll into college-level courses without needing remediation.
Texas Success Initiative Exemptions
Exemptions are subject-specific which means students may qualify for an exemption in one subject area such as mathematics, but not in another area such as reading or writing. Students may be exempt if one or more of the following requirements is met:
- He/She scores a 23 or higher on the ACT composite and a minimum of 19 on the English and/or math sections;
- He/She earns a minimum score of 480 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) portion of the SAT and/or a minimum score of 530 on the Mathematics section (no combined score is needed);
- On the Evidence-based reading and writing (EBRW) portion of the PSAT/NMSQT, earning a score of 460 will be evidence of college readiness in both reading and writing. A mathematics score of 510 will be evidence of readiness in Math
Mandatory Pre-Assessment Activity
Before taking the TSI Assessment, students must complete a Pre-Assessment Activity. The test administering campus is required to provide the Pre-Assessment Activity and document student participation. It is a requirement for students to complete this activity before taking the test.
The Pre-Assessment Activity for the Texas Success Initiative Assessment allows the following:
- Students will learn about the information assessed on the TSI Assessment and why it is important to do well.
- Students will be informed about the exemption criteria.
- Students will get practice with same test questions.
- Students will find out about testing times and locations.
- Students will receive a certificate for completing the mandatory activity.
Access the Pre-Assessment Activity
These free TSI practice tests are designed to help prepare for the Texas Success Initiative Assessment. These online practice tests are interactive with automatic scoring. Detailed explanations are included along with each answer. http://www.tsipracticetest.com/
The College Board offers sample questions in each tested area for students to reference. http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org
College Ready Scores
TSIA2: ELAR - 945 or higher and/or Diagnostic Score of 5 or higher; Essay - 5 or higher;
Math - 950 or higher